We are looking for a talented scientist or research engineer who likes to work on the interface of R&D and manufacturing. In their mind, inventing, adapting, or adopting a new process and seeing it through from lab to fab is the most exciting job they can consider. You will need a solid foundation in PV fundamentals, with the curiosity and drive to synthesize solutions to problems using technology from diverse fields. Problem-solving and troubleshooting using diligent, hands-on analytical and characterization methods will be a key part of this role, so the applicant must have a strong background in solving complex problems.
The scientist or research engineer will be part of a larger team of R&D and manufacturing engineers, and will have ample opportunity to work closely with other subject and process experts, as well as an elite team of automation and mechanical engineers. Collaboration internally as well as with external parties and equipment vendors is an essential element of the job.
This position reports directly to the Senior VP of Technology, but you will have the opportunity to interface with virtually all facets of the business, from research to process development to manufacturing and quality control, and your efforts will be visible to the entire company, ranging from technicians to senior management.
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material Science or similar with at least 3 years work experience demonstrating high impact
- Strong analytical skills
- Comfortable leading projects, but also being the chemistry resource on teams composed of engineers
- Experience with Photovoltaics is an advantage, especially with silicon solar cells
- Experience in wet or dry etching is a plus
- A demonstrated ability to solve problems using multidisciplinary and hands-on approaches.
- Experience using Design of Experiments tools such as JMP to understand complex systems and optimize.
- Proven track record of working closely with third parties like equipment vendors and/or research institutes.
- Eager to be in the lab and translate your ideas into results.
- Must enjoy frequent interactions and open communication with a wide variety of personnel.